Saturday, December 24, 2011

Tips on driving to Seattle. PLEASE HELP ASAP!!!!!?

I'm driving for the first time from Indiana to Seattle, Washington this summer. As I am bringing my two cats, who have never gone on a long car trip, I really need some suggestions fast. One of my friends told me that is was really hard driving from Chicago to Washington. What I want to know is how long did it take you. (please no going on Google maps and getting directions. I need real experience). Also do you have to drive through the Rocky Mountains? If so, is it very treacherous? Overall, is the drive rather easy? I need help ASAP cause I'm leaving in less than 20 days.|||The only thing hard about driving from Chicago to Washington on I-94/I-90 is how boring it can get. Although the country is beautiful, you have a long stretch of seeing pretty much the same thing for a lot of miles.





It took me 3 days to make that trip, but I need to stop and get out of the car and stretch every 3 or 4 hours and I don't like to do more than about 10-12 hours of driving per day. I get too tired and sleepy, especially if the highway is monotonous. I typically like to get going early in the morning and stop by 5 or 6 pm. I don't like driving after dark because it increases the chances of hitting a deer (or some other animal) which not only messes up the deer, but can do a lot of damage to your car. If you can handle driving longer without falling asleep at the wheel, you might be able to do it in less time.





Yes, you drive through the Rocky Mountains and also the Cascade Mountains, but it is not at all treacherous in the summer months.|||Yes, you must cross the Rockies. I once drove from Seattle to Chicago. It was about ten years ago. It is a long drive. It took us about 2 1/2 days and we stopped at hotels for the night. The toughest part is that it's very flat and very boring for most of the drive (North Dakota and Eastern Montana are especially boring). It can get very repetetive and hard to stay away the whole time. If you can just take your time and take lots of breaks along the way.|||I really can't add to Tori's answer. It is a good one.|||I to made the drive from Chicago to Seattle about ten years ago when I moved out here and had a similar experience on our drive as Kevin and Tori. Do you know some who can travel with you? I drove out with my dad, and it made the trip a lot more bearable to have someone in the car to talk to and kept us both awake. I also traveled with my cats and two dogs and have traveled quite a bit with cats to shows. One tip I can give you is you might want to map out some hotels along the route that are pet friendly. The La Quinta and Super 8 chains are two pet friendly hotels that I stay in quite frequently, and I know have lots of hotels across the US. Good luck on your trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment