Monday, December 19, 2011

How did people travel in the US before mapquest, google maps and yahoo maps?

Did they use hard copies of maps for driving directions? They sure did not have the luxury of printed driving directions or GPS as we do these days!|||We grabbed an atlas and planned the trip as best we could before we left. Some of us would even check out an alternate route, just in case we found out that the first route wasn't the best idea.





You had to buy updated atlases every year, though, because a zone that wasn't under construction when you bought the first atlas might be later. Or a highway that was still being built when you had the first atlas might be finished.





But some people will still use an atlas. When one of my brothers drove an 18-wheeler just a couple of years ago, he had an atlas because he hadn't worked long enough to save up the money for a GPS unit. GPS is more convenient because of the spoken, turn-by-turn directions, sure...but it's enitrely possible to travel without the thing and still reach your destination without any problems.|||We used a Road Atlas, Mobil Travel Guide, and/or AAA Guidebook.





When planning a long trip some of the oil companies had travel services that would take your planned stops, prepare a route, and send a printed map with a route overlay drawn using a highlighter pen. I think Chevron provided the service that my family used. This got you from city to city - usually we'd call from a payphone once there to get directions to the specific address.





AAA members could go to the local AAA office and get a similar mark-up of AAA maps. As far as I know you can still do this if you're a AAA member.|||When I worked on the road in the home service industry (about 2 years ago) I always carried area maps with me. I would mapquest my route at the beginning of the day but commonly had to make an unexpected house call while on the road. Also, I always liked having the maps regardless because there were plenty of times mapquest gave me poor directions.





Between internet access and hard maps I find GPS a very frivolous and unnecessary expenditure. (Edit - Unless you drive different routes very often) Why the average person who only drives out of the area of their general knowledge needs GPS is beyond me.





As a contractor the main reason I did not use it is because it would have cut into my profits when all I had to do was use my brain a little to find my route. What a concept!!|||Paper maps (the ones you can buy at a gas station)|||Reading road sign.|||You're absolutely right ~ we did NOT have the luxury of printing driving directions off the internet or using a GPS device in the "old days" (which, actually, weren't all that long ago).





We bought paper maps from gas stations, or belonged to AAA and requested a "trip map" from them ~ they would send us a map (via Snail Mail) with our route (and possibly alternate routes) highlighted on the map.





Believe it or not, in some ways it was more accurate and easier than what's available now (GPS has sent us some really odd ways at times). But I have to admit, I LOVE this modern age and all its conveniences!!|||We used a sextant, a compass, and chronograph. If those failed we use celestial observations.





But we never drove too far, for fear of falling off the earth.|||Road atlas.|||I still use an Atlas. You can buy a good one at any truck stop. Wal Mart even still carries them.|||It was not THAT long ago, geesh. Each state visitor center still offers a free paper state map. I get one when ever I can.


Sometimes they have coupons and special offers. Check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment